Auto Insurance

A bend in the road is not the end of the road…unless you fail to make the turn. -author unknown

Motor vehicle accidents lead to more personal injury lawsuits than any other cause. Even if you don’t care if your car gets damaged or stolen, you need auto insurance (liability coverage) to pay for any injury or property damage you might cause to others in an accident.

Your auto insurance premiums will depend on your vehicle’s type and cost and garaged location, along with your driving record, miles driven, and the coverage limits you choose. We can help you determine the right balance of protection and premium for your family.

The personal auto policy (PAP) provides two main types of coverage: liability (Part A) and collision/comprehensive damage (Part D).

Part A: Liability

Part A, the liability portion of the policy, pays for an insured driver’s liability for bodily injury or property damage they cause to another person while operating a covered vehicle. Every state requires auto owners to carry liability insurance.

Part D: Collision and Comprehensive Damage

Part D, collision and comprehensive damage, pays for damage to your covered vehicle(s). Some owners don’t buy Part D, while others want collision coverage only—this coverage pays if their car is damaged in a crash, but not if it is damaged by other causes or stolen. “Comprehensive” coverage protects your car from damage or loss due to reasons other than collision, such as theft, fire, flood, earthquake, windstorm, falling objects, explosion, vandalism and more.

Part B: Medical Coverage

Auto policies also provide other important coverages. Part B, medical payments coverage, is optional in most states. It supplements your family’s medical insurance by paying medical expenses, usually up to $5,000 or $10,000, if a covered driver or your passenger is accidentally injured in a car or light truck or as a pedestrian.

Part C: Uninsured Motorist

Part C, uninsured motorists coverage, covers you if you are involved in an accident with an uninsured driver. Some policies also provide additional coverages that help you after an accident, such as towing and replacement rental car coverage.